Friday, June 25, 2010

France



Words cannot express what I learned in yesterday's research.  A huge thank you to ancestry resources of the Church of Latter Day Saints: I'm not a member of your church, but I truly appreciate your website http://www.familysearch.org/.  I was able trace back to 1608, a true accomplishment!  The Marions left from La Rochelle, as I have mentioned.  The de St. Julien family is from Bordeax, wine country.   The Mazyck, le Serurier, Legare, and Bossu families all came from Saint Quentin in Piccardy (Picarine, above Paris).  There is a direct parallel between the names of the provinces and cities of France from whence the peoples came and to the areas they settled and named.  I am fascinated by the old architecture of their homeland, from the Medieval forts and gates to the Gothic cathedrals. 

Pictures are, front top and reading left to right:
a map of France (I will be getting a better one), the interior of the Roman Catholic cathedral of La Rochelle, two exterior shots of La Basilique de Saint Quentin, the access gate from Paris to the road taken to Saint Quentin, a street of Saint Quentin, and two shots of the very impressive La Basilique de Saint Julien.  La Rochelle and Saint Julien are more arid, compared with Saint Quentin which is lush and closer to Belgium.  The Gothic cathedrals stand out to me not just because of what they symbolized to the French Huguenots, but because they're so freaking cool.  I want to go to France pretty badly now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment