Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tenacious

I would like, very much, to discuss the founding document of our country.  We are a nation divided at this time in our history, just as we have been torn on issues in the past.  I would like to add that this country was founded by immigrants and descendants of immigrants.  What's so great about freedom?  I've begun to scratch the surface with this blog.  One of the most important founders, Thomas Jefferson, had a separate family with a slave woman, and upon his death was so riddled with debts that he could not free everyone.  The "founding fathers," were a group of people who believed that slavery would eventually come to an end.  I am speaking of this issue, because I do, with all of my heart, contend that every person is created equal under God.  Enslaving another person, keeping them under one's heel so to speak, does not match the right of equality for all.  It is not what you have or what your status might be: it is the content of your character which is your value.  This is how men are not equal: character matters.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
-The Preamble to the Constitution

The word "tenacious" was given to me by my friend, Geri, to speak to my relentless clinging to morales and ideals.  It is a compliment to be considered tenacious for standing my ground: integrity is a very important thing.  Standing one's ground and following through, being accountable, are rare things these days, but ordinary people can act upon integrity and be considered heroic.  The founders of this great country said, "Enough!" and took their desire for freedom to the next level.  I'm speaking of everyone who joined the fight, not just the fellows whose names are signed at the bottom of the paperwork. 


No comments:

Post a Comment