Thursday, July 1, 2010

sandwich geneology

You know, geneology sites are like Wikipedia: the information is submitted by regular folks, and you can either take their word for fact or with a grain of salt.  The only truth on one's side when researching online are the sources, and I have finally found some books laying out the correct dates, etc.  This is needed to lay out the family line for me, to explain why even though General Francis Marion is my great uncle rather than my great grandfather, I still have revolutionary blood in me.  The answer lies in his closest brother, Job.

Gabriel Marion, Jr (1691-1747) married Esther Charlotte Cordes (1695-1757)

Gabriel Marion, III (1711-1777)

Esther Marion (1712-?)

Issac Marion (1715-1781)

Benjamin Marion (1718-1778)

Job Marion (1721-1778)

Francis Marion (1732-1795)

Job Marion served with brother Francis on the 2nd Provincial Congress, represented St. John's parish in 1775.  He also fought alongside his brother at Fort Moultrie and in small skirmishes,
until his death at 57 on June 8, 1778.

Job Marion (1721-1778) married Elizabeth de St. Julien (1725-1755) 
son Job de St. Julien Marion (1750-1799)

Job de St. Julien Marion (1750-1799) married Miss Verditty (?-?), second marriage
son Verditty Marion (1791-1861) born in Abbeville, SC

Verditty Marion (1791-1861) married Martha Herring (1804-?)
daughter Helen de St. Julien Marion (1825-?)
Helen was listed as UKNOWN DAUGHTER on roots.com, and stated she must've died in 1840.  The person who wrote that didn't know Helen because she was the only one who didn't move to Mississippi.  And she didn't die at 15, either, she had a family of her own.

Helen de St. Julien Marion (1825-?) married Robert Palmer.
They had five sons and one daughter, Sallie.  Their son Frank was killed in the Civil War.  Helen's father Derwitty's business took him to LaFayette County, Mississippi, where he passed in 1861. 


We have Sallie's (1844-1903) wedding band.  She was the link in the chain to a famous Revolutionary War hero, and now I know about the rest of the chain.  The holes have been filled in the story!  I'm collecting more stories on the family, to be included in my book.  Right now I need a break. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading along, loving all that you've shared about our mutual family. I'd so love to exchange information with you. I hope you've see the post I left an hour or two ago regarding your book of Job blog. Let me add to your blog above regarding the following.

    Job de St. Julien Marion (1750-1799) married Miss Verditty (?-?), second marriage
    son Verditty Marion (1791-1861) born in Abbeville, SC

    Verditty Marion (1791-1861) married Martha Herring (1804-?)

    The Verditty Marion is also known as Job Verditty Marion. It is he, using the name Job, with his wife Martha that are living next door to my GG Grandmother Caroline (Marion) Campbell.

    An interesting note, their (Caroline and Daniel's) son Charles Edgar Campbell marries the daughter (Ida) of Francis Marion Collins, a Civil War physician. I was just reading his obituary last night- run over by a train in Abbeville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, if you're still out there, thank you so very much.
    Goodness knows I had a time, short of traveling to the records in South Carolina, filling in some of the blanks about Job Marion. Since beginning this blog in 2010, I have been able to trace not only my family names, but also my facial features, back to France.
    A side note, in May 2011 I became ill, which was already the focus of another blog. Then, happily, we welcomed our first child. It is my express intent to blog again.

    ReplyDelete