Thursday, July 8, 2010

sleeping with the enemy


I'd like to flip the coin, if I may, and speak of a story I remembered from my grandfather Mays's family whose place in the puzzle recently connected for me. The Mays family came over with Reverend William Mease, who sailed from Belfast in 1611 to become part of the lesser-known Roanoke colony above John Smith's Jamestown. You could call him a Scots-Irish Presbyterian because he sailed from Northern Ireland during the Calvinist Protestant Reformation. But he wasn't Scots Irish. He was a Dutchman whose family had lived along the river Maas and had traded with the English. We found the name appearing in Flanders around 1479, when people began adopting last names. Trickle down in time with me to the southern migration of the Scots Irish in the New World colonies. My grandfather's great uncle was William Mayes, who settled in what is now Sumter County, South Carolina in 1759. See above.

Salem Black River Church was built in 1759, and while its original structure has been rebuilt and renovated several times, the cemetary and Sessions house remain.  William Mayes of the parish married a Cherokee chief's daughter.  My previous post addressed the bloody Cherokee campaign, with the Cherokee as the decided enemy of the colonials, and here I find my dad's father's family sleeping with the enemy.  I believe that William married for love.  His descendants founded what is now Mayesville, South Carolina, and prospered therein. 



The Cherokee Campaign ended in 1761, with a treaty.  I was able to find the final page of said treaty, with the marks and seals of the English and Cherokee. 


The French and Indian war ended in 1763, and the 13 colonies were divided by the Blue Ridge from the French and Indian territory.  England maintained its choke-hold until the colonists organized against them, eventually declaring their independence.  Wait for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment